Friday, October 15, 2010

WEEKEND WARRIOR CHALLENGE: Conquering the toiletry chaos

Is your morning routine, or lack thereof, making you start your day off on the wrong foot? Are you digging through drawers of 'stuff' to find what you are looking for? Are you constantly late? If you answered yes to even one of those questions, you could benefit from this Weekend Warrior challenge. I know everyone is "busy" but there has got to be at least one hour you can carve out of your weekend to conquer your bathroom chaos. Trust me. You do it once and maintain it (*key word - MAINTAIN), and you can kiss goodbye the morning outbursts of frustration. Ok so let's get your mind right and tackle this...

First, take ONE drawer at a time. Or better yet, one section of the huge pile that has taken over your vanity top. If you try to take on too much at one time, you'll get frustrated and want to give up. Grab the garbage can and start to weed out the stuff you don't ever use. Like those stupid samples you just can't seem to toss but have never used. What's up with having such a hard time throwing away something that was FREE? Or what about the multiple lotion bottles that you never finished but somehow can't part with. As if you're going to reach for those crusty pumps. If you hesitate on any one item, TOSS it. Or maybe you have multiples of things. Reality check - you only need one hairdryer, one straightener, one curling iron. Donate or toss the extras.

Now that you have only the essentials, visually place all like items together. Perfume, body sprays, and lotions together. Medicines. Make-up. The items you use during your daily routine (i.e. deodorant, lotion, vitamin, hair product, etc) I know that goes against clumping 'like items' together but this is important to streamline your routine and the amount of time it takes you to get ready. By putting your items in clumps it shows you what you're working with and you can easily assess how much room you need for each group.

Now's the fun part - Depending on the space you have to work with, start putting your items AWAY in places that make sense. Not just organized on the counter. Clumps of items on the counter make my head spin. But that's coming from someone with OCD tendencies. I don't believe a drawer or closet can be truly organized without the help of some type of organizer. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. I personally HATE those little ones that clip together. They are always too small. I encourage you to get creative and think outside the box. Don’t just shop in the bathroom aisle for bathroom products. Look in the office aisle, kitchen section or outdoor area.
My personal favorite drawer organizer is actually a $3.00 "Antonius basket insert" from Ikea. Love that store. And their prices. FYI - the quality of their products are so much better than what they used to be. I apologize that I have no clue what section I found it in but it was the organizing piece for a stacked shelving unit. Talk about thinking outside the box! I love it because it's a durable plastic that I can wipe down. It's all one unit. It has different size compartments to fit just about anything. It works for me.

My make-up drawer. Note: The make-up bag to the right. What's in there? My everyday make-up. Why do I do that? Stay tuned. That's an entirely different post.

My "everyday" drawer. My go-to drawer to find everything to complete my daily, get ready routine.
Alright, now that you know that I use Pro-Activ and wear Arrid deodorant, it's your turn. Go out and find the drawer organizer that works for you and get that bathroom under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment