Thursday, October 21, 2010

Splurge vs. Steal: TOOTHPASTE

According to the American Academy of Periodontology, 50% of people say that a smile is the first feature they notice about someone. Sadly 80% of people are not happy with their smile. I however am part of the other 20%. I spent six long, embarrassing years in braces during my fragile junior high/early high school years so you better believe I like to show off my pearly whites. But I can't give the braces all the credit. Like most things in my life, I am anal about my brushing habits. I went to the Dentist on Tuesday and heard nothing but rave reviews about how white and clean my teeth were. What's my secret? ULTRABRITE ADVANCED WHITENING TOOTHPASTE. A major STEAL.

You've probably never noticed Ultrabrite on the shelf at the store. It's usually on the very bottom shelf next to the fire red Close-Up gel due to it's ridiculously low price. Naturally people would overlook a $.97 toothpaste but in Ultrabrite's defense, it's owned and manufactured by COLGATE. Go figure. Colgate's Total Advanced Whitening is Ultrabrite's expensive twin at $4.24. But we love Colgate because they spend millions on advertising which sucks us into believing they are better. Ugh - consumerism at it's finest.

In additon to my Ultrabrite testimony, Consumer Reports a few yeas ago rated Ultrabrite the top whitening toothpaste which gave it the recognition it deserves. Sooooo now that you know Consumer Reports gives it 2 thumbs up will you stop splurging on the high priced, overly marketed toothpastes? Maybe you will, maybe you won't but I'll leave you with this...You can buy 4 tubes of Ultrabrite to 1 tube of Colgate. That alone should make you smile. :)
*Note: Ultrabrite can be found at Target & Walmart.

Random dental facts:

- The average woman smiles about 62 times a day. A man? Only 8.
- Kids laugh around 400 times a day. Grown-ups just 15.
- People who smile in school yearbooks are more likely to have successful careers and marriages than poker faced peers.
- Americans buy 14 million gallons of toothpaste every year.
- Total annual consumer spending on toothpaste is $1.8 billion dollars.
- 38.5 total days an average American spends brushing their teeth over their lifetime.
- 94% of Americans say they brush nightly; 81% say they do it first thing in the morning.
- Change out your toothbrush when there are signs of showing wear, or every three (3) months.
- Dentists recommend that a toothbrush be kept at least six (6) feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.
- Always brush your tongue to remove the bacteria that causes bad breath. Brushing the roof of your mouth may also help eliminate a bad breath problem.
- Even after you brush your teeth, some bacteria will remain. That bacteria can set up a colony and begin damaging your teeth within 24 hours - which is why dentists recommend brushing twice a day to consistently interrupt their growth.
- A correct brushing must have a duration of 2 to 3 minutes.
- Soft bristled brushes with a smaller head are preferred so they can better reach all areas of your mouth. Electric toothbrushes like a Sonicare are best.

No comments:

Post a Comment