Sunday, March 20, 2011

SWEET SUNDAY

Smoothies are big hit in our house - especially when the after-dinner sweet tooth arrives mid-way through American Idol. I usually will improvise with whatever I have on hand but the basics of the smoothie is always pretty consistent; ice, milk, fruit and a packet of Splenda. My evening smoothies aren't intended to do much more than satisfy my sweet tooth without packing a ton of calories although they do offer a healthy amount of vitamins, calcium, protein and fiber to my diet.

One night my husband wanted to get creative so we looked up the Orange Julius smoothie recipe. Although a little more caloric because of the orange juice concentrate over my usual fresh fruit alternative, this smoothie was a refreshing change up.

~ORANGE JULIUS SMOOTHIE~

INGREDIENTS:
6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate
1/2 cup milk - your choice
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons sugar (or sugar substitute equivalent) – less or more depending on sweetness preference
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
10-20 ice cubes - depending on the consistency you prefer

*Optional: 2 tablespoons of vanilla yogurt, 1 tablespoon protein powder, flax seed, other greens

Directions:
Blend everything in a blender for 30-45 seconds until frothy. Pour into a glass.

I hope this ends your weekend on a sweet note! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment