Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Splurge vs. Steal: TORTILLAS

I've become a pretty religious Target grocery shopper as of late. The convenience of a one stop shop is pretty flippin' nice. I'm so stoked about this super steal I happen to fall upon this week, that I thought I would share with y'all.

A staple item on my grocery list is flour tortillas. Yes, flour. Not wheat. Shame on us, I know. Chase loves quesadillas for lunch, we eat tacos on a weekly basis and my husband eats them plain, straight out of the bag for a snack. We go through a lot of tortillas. And every time I reach for the "Mission" brand bag, I cringe. For a 10 pack of the Mission 'Carb Balance' Soft Taco tortillas at our local Vons/Safeway they are expensive at $6.19. Target's Mission price is a little better at $4.99 but it still doesn't sit well with me.

Bummed that Target was out of our Mission 'Carb Balance' favorites and knowing I couldn't go home empty-handed, I searched through the shelf of options. Dissecting the nutritional facts on the back of each, I stumbled upon "Romero's" Soft Taco flour tortillas.

Shockingly they were only $2.14 for a value pack of 16 tortillas. What a STEAL!!!

Initially hesitant that they wouldn't taste as good as the Mission brand, I was quickly proven wrong. No difference in taste or texture. AND 23 calories and 1.5 grams of fat less!

The moral of the story if you want some super steals: 1) grocery shop at Target and 2) buy Romero's tortillas!

2 comments:

  1. I also eat Mission Carb Balance, but I buy them at Fresh and Easy only $3.99. Danny like's the Romero's so I buy them for him. The major difference is the fiber. Mission= full of fiber, Romero's= 1 gram. That's the only reason I still splurge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did notice that - 11 grams to 1 gram. I personally get enough fiber in other foods but I hear ya.

    ReplyDelete