Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Super Simple Meal in Minutes: TORTILLA PIZZAS

Piggybacking on yesterday's Splurge vs. Steal post on tortillas, I thought this recipe was fitting. I get asked all the time for easy, quick, kid-friendly dinner ideas. Sadly I'm not a good resource since I don't steer too far from our signature re-occurring meals; tacos, stir-fry, enchiladas, chicken and broccoli, spaghetti, sloppy joes, turkey meat loaf. Nothing fancy. I'm all about - if it works, why mess up a good thing. As much as I like routine though, I find myself bored even of our favorites. Thanks to my girlfriend Lori, these tasty personal tortilla pizzas have become a staple in our weekly dinner line-up. In addition to being super easy, they are low fat, inexpensive and take 15 minutes from start to table top.

Ingredients:
Flour tortillas
Pizza sauce
8 oz. bag of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Toppings of choice

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2) Spread spoonful of pizza sauce on top of tortilla
3) Layer desired amount of cheese on top
4) Decorate with desired toppings
5) If desired, sprinkle additional layer of cheese
6) Heat for 8-10 minutes

The Dawsons are Hawaiian pizza lovers so my shopping list consists of: (Prices from Target)

"Romero's" Flour Tortillas ($2.14)
Jar of "Ragu" Pizza Sauce ($.92)
"Market Pantry" (Target Generic) Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese ($1.80)
"Del Monte" Pineapple Tidbits ($1.62)
Cooked Ham slice ($1.59)

Total for all ingredients=$8.07. With one 8 oz. packet of shredded cheese, I estimate you could make 4 pizzas (assuming you only do one layer of cheese). Total for one pizza=$2.02. Gotta love that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment