Friday, March 25, 2011

FANCY FRIDAY

Hands down I'm a cocktail girl. First choice would be a mojito but I do also love me a killer margarita. Thanks to my aging metabolism however, I can't justify those tasty 800 calories that high five my liver on their way to my bootah. {Tear}. Dave and I always wonder if, or when, we'll hit that sophisticated milestone and make the switch from cocktails to wine. Prior to last Saturday night, I wasn't too optimistic BUT thanks to some great friends, we were introduced to Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages 2009. This particular bottle has me second guessing the whole wine thing. It's light, yet flavorful with enticing aromas of raspberry, cherry pie, strawberries and smoky herbs. In my opinion (along with the rest of the table) this Beaujolais is very drinkable. It was the first time in a very long time that I wasn't forcing the wine down my throat and puckering at a bitter aftertaste. Cheers to Tracy for tickling my fancy!
You may have to hunt a little for this wine but I know you can find it at BevMo for $12-14. Or check Wine.com. If you don't want to break the bank but want to impress people that you like or "know" French wine, have a bottle of Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages on hand.

For all you wine connoisseurs; here's a little more background of the wine -- Maison Louis Jadot is one of the oldest and most respected producers of Burgundy (Pinot Noir) wine in France. Founded by Louis Henry Denis Jadot in 1859, the Louis Jadot name has become synonymous with fine quality (and expensive French Burgundies), but also with inexpensive, lighter varietals for us working-class folk.

The Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages is not technically a Burgundy (and so not Pinot Noir). While Jadot is know mostly for their Burgundies, this wine comes from the Beaujolais region in France. Wines from this area are made mostly from the Gamay grape, a hearty varietal with thick skin, yet low tannins causing very little bitter aftertaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment