Sunday, April 1, 2012
How adorable are these little bird's nests? Too cute and too easy. No baking. Minimal ingredients. The perfect treat on a busy week leading up to Easter.
Courtesy of Pastry Affair (with a few variations)
Yields 8-10 3-inch nests
3 cups crispy chow mein noodles or pretzel sticks
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter or butterscotch chips
30 candy robin eggs (picture shows mini whoppers, but you could use jelly beans, foil wrapped eggs, or anything egg shaped)
1) Place the chow mein noodles (or pretzel sticks) in a medium mixing bowl.
2) In a small saucepan, melt together the chocolate chips and peanut butter (or butterscotch) over low heat. Stir until smooth.
3) Pour over the noodles/pretzels and stir until evenly coated.
4) On a cookie sheet covered in parchment or wax paper, take a handful of noodles/pretzels and form a nest, making an indent in the center or form in a muffin tin. Continue doing so until all the noodles/pretzels are used.
5) Refrigerate the cookies to set the chocolate for 30-45 minutes before serving.
6) Place eggs in nests. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I hope this ends your weekend on the sweet side!