Recipe calls for jalapenos but in fear of it being too spicy for the kids, I didn't add them. Surprisingly it still had tons of flavor. You can even swap out the corn meal with rolled oats.
~Black Bean Patties with Salsa~
Courtesy of Better Homes & Garden
Yields: 8 patties
Start to finish: 25 minutes
1 1/2 cupsprepared salsa
1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
2 - 15 ounce canblack beans, rinsed and drained
1 - 8 ounce corn muffin mix (or rolled oats)
2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1) In colander, drain 1/2 cup of the salsa.
2) Seed and finely chop half of the jalapeno; thinly slice remaining half.
3) In large bowl mash beans with vegetable masher or fork. Stir in muffin mix, drained salsa, 2-1/2 teaspoons chili powder, and chopped jalapeno.
4) In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add four 1/2-cup mounds of bean mixture to skillet. Flatten mounds with spatula to 3-1/2-inch-round cakes. Cook for 3 minutes on each side until browned. Remove from skillet. Repeat with remaining oil and bean mixture.
5) In bowl combine sour cream and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.
6) Top cakes with remaining salsa, sliced jalapeno, and seasoned sour cream.