Wednesday, January 11, 2012

What's for Dinner Wednesday: Meal in a Can

After complaining about what to make for dinner, my little sis introduced me to the EASIEST meal on the face of the earth. I call it "meal in a can" because it's essentially just that; canned chicken, corn, black beans and diced mild tomatoes with green chilies. It literally takes 3 minutes of prep work and 10 minutes on the stovetop.

There are so many variations of dinners you can make with this concoction. We use it as filling inside tortillas and top it with lettuce shreds, shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa and a dollop of guac. I love it over a bed of lettuce with quac and sour cream as my dressing. You can also put over rice with the same toppings. Never tried it over guinoa or couscous but I'm sure it would be just as tasty.

If I remember correctly, my sister said this was a Weight Watchers meal or a similar variation. Good news for all you on the weight loss kick. This meal is packed with protein, fiber and low in fat and carbs.

~Meal in a Can~

Ingredients:
2 large cans of Swansons (or Kirkland Signature from Costco) chunk chicken packed in water*
1 can Rotel diced mild tomatoes with green chilies
1 can corn - I prefer no salt added
1 can of black beans - I prefer low sodium
1 packet or 1/4 cup of taco seasoning

*If you prefer, you can boil your desired amount of chicken breasts and shred.

Directions:
Open all cans with a can opener.
Drain the chicken, corn, and black beans - leaving the tomatoes as is.
Dump all ingredients into a skillet on the stove top.
Mix together and stir in taco seasoning.
Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

And...that's it. You can also top with green onions or cilantro to give it that extra flavor. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment