Moist. Heart-healthy. Fiber-filled. Satisfying. Start your day off with this yummy Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries and Bananas from skinnytaste.com and never leave the house hungry. Which if you're on the weight loss kick after the New Year you know that to jump start your metabolism for the day, you must never skip breakfast. And there's nothing better than old fashioned oatmeal. Doctor'd up of course.
You can make this with any combination of fruits and nuts you like - the possibilities are endless. This also makes for a great after school or mid-day snack. Pop in the micro for a few seconds and
2 medium ripe bananas, (the riper the better) sliced into 1/2" pieces
1 1/2 cup blueberries
1/4 cup honey (or agave)
1 cup uncooked quick oats
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 cup fat free milk (or any milk you desire)
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 375° F. Lightly spray a 8 x 8" or 9 x 9" ceramic baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
2) Arrange the banana slices in a single layer on the bottom of the ceramic dish. Sprinkle half of the blueberries over the bananas, 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon, 1 tbsp of the honey and cover with foil. Bake 15 minutes, until the bananas get soft.
3) Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the oats, half of nuts, baking powder, remaining cinnamon, and salt; stir together.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining honey, milk, egg, and vanilla extract
5) Remove the bananas from the oven, then pour the oat mixture over the bananas and blueberries.
6) Pour the milk mixture over the oats, making sure to distribute the mixture as evenly as possible over the oats. Sprinkle the remaining blueberries and walnuts over the the top.
7) Bake the oatmeal for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the oatmeal has set. Serve warm from the oven.
I hope this ends your weekend on a sweet note...and starts your week off on the right foot!