Monday, May 7, 2012

If you do one thing this week...


DON'T EAT THE UNEATEN FOOD OFF YOUR KID'S PLATE.

Who eats the crust of the sandwiches, the left over mac n' cheese at the bottom of the bowl, a few pieces of diced chicken or cheese here and there? I do. And it's no wonder I can't lose those last 5-10 pounds.

I think I eat good. But then I catch myself finishing off the last of Chase's quesadilla or remaining Wheat Thins on Lance's highchair tray. Essentially I'm consuming a 4th meal - a meal that is not meant to be had. Mindless munching where calories add up. Accounting for an entire extra meal in my day.

I do. You do it. Hey it happens. And if you're not a stay at home mom that's finishing off the last of the PB&J, most likely you'll do it at work. The "I'll take just one more for later" cookie as your walking out of the meeting, a handful of jellybeans off a co-workers desk.

You might not realize just how quickly calories can add up though. An extra tablespoon of salad dressing can add 75-100 calories, an extra tablespoon of butter adds 102 calories, and that 1-ounce bag of chips with your sandwich at lunch adds 162 calories.

Tablespoon people? Do you know how little a tablespoon really is??? And c'mon on - 1 ounce. That 1 ounce bag requires you to mop the floor for an additional 30 minutes. No thanks - I'll skip the chips.

Now I know 102 extra calories doesn't seem like much but have that, "oh what's an extra dollop really gonna do?" mentality three, four, five times in your day and those bites here and there WILL pack on the pounds and sabotage your weight loss goals.

So this week - resist the temptation to clean someone else’s plate. And while you're at it - make a conscious effort not to clean yours either. Think about your waistline instead of the food waste. Consider the calories in small portions and recognize how quickly they can add up when portions are multiplied:
  • 1 Twinkie: 150 calories
  • 12 peanut M&Ms: 125 calories
  • 1 ounce of French fries: 88 calories
  • 1.5 donut holes: 100 calories
  • 3 Hershey kisses: 75 calories
  • 3 Oreo cookies:160 calories
  • 15 tortilla chips: 142 calories
  • 20 potato chips: 162 calories
Not worth it in my book. And always remember - "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment