Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Party Time: Shrimp Sensation

Asked to bring an appetizer to a New Year's Eve par-tay? If so, stop rummaging through your cookbooks or Recipes.com and give this sensational shrimp recipe a try. I can not for the life of me remember where I got this recipe but I changed it so much I might as well give myself the credit. I personally am a big fan of bringing shrimp to a party. Along with about three other people usually. Luckily everyone loves shrimp and it never goes to waste. This recipe however is an unexpected twist on the boring ol' shrimp and cocktail sauce. Every single time I've made this concoction, you hear a low moan of "mmmmm's" across the room.

The original recipe called for a million ingredients and far too much prep work - slicing and dicing is not my thing. So instead I hit up Costco and did a little improvising. I bought the 3 lb. tub of Rojo's All Natural Pico de Gallo and saved myself about 45 minutes. Unfortunately I don't have the original recipe so I can't tell you exact measurements if you opt to make the Pico from scratch. If you decide to put yourself through such a daunting task, make sure the Pico is super chunky with added cilantro. Unfortunately I've never tried it with homemade Pico so I can't stand behind the end taste if you do go that route.

Shrimp Salsa Dip

Ingredients:
Costco's 3 lb tub of Rojo's All Natural Pico de Gallo
1 can of frozen Limeade Concentrate
75-85 Shrimp - any size

Directions:
Cut off shrimp tails
Dump the entire tub of Pico in a large bowl.
Mix 1/2 of the can of Limeade into the Pico.
Add the shrimp and stir together.
Let marinate in the refrigerator for 30+ minutes. It can be served on the spot but it's more flavorful if you give the juices time to soak inot the shrimp.
The zesty combination of the citrus with the saltiness of the salsa is indescribable. It's very light and not hot or spicy. I usually serve with slices of soft French Bread. I'll buy the long loaf and display the thinly sliced pieces around the base of the salsa bowl for a nice presentation. Guests will then spoon the shrimp salsa onto the bread - almost like a bruschetta. It can also be served with tortilla chips or on top of a toasted baquette.

If you wanted to serve this as a meal, you could easily scoop onto a tortilla with a dollop of sour cream. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. Hailey I have to say that this is such an awesome and simple recipe! I am bringing it to a NYE party and can't wait to here all of the "mmmmmm's".

    ReplyDelete