Friday, November 5, 2010

WEEKEND WARRIOR CHALLENGE: Live life unscripted


Unscripted: adj - Spontaneous, different, unusual, unique A thing that doesn't go as planned but ends up a lot better than expected.

To live life unscripted goes against all my Type-A, Virgo traits. I hate uncertainty. I thrive on routine. I like to know what's next. I'm a borderline control freak. I don't like when things go wrong. Most days I love the person God made me to be. Other days, I can't stand myself. It's a gnarly love/hate relationship. But at the end of the day, all I can be is me.

One of my goals however over the past few months has been to live more freely. For me that's as simple as being ok with leaving the bed unmade. Or ordering something off the menu other than chicken. It's a work in progress but I am getting there, one baby step at a time. Naturally, we are all creatures of habit to some degree. There's a lot of comfort and predictability in doing the same ol' same ol'. A good routine becomes a well oiled machine over time so it doesn't take much effort. It's natural that when everything else around us seems to be going wrong, we instinctively cling to the things we know won't fail us.

Do you find yourself in a rut doing the same ol' thing day in and day out? I've watched my parents as they have gotten older fall into this trap. They seem content going to the same restaurants, sitting in the same seats, hanging out with the same people. But as the oldest daughter I feel it is my duty to challenge them to step out of the box. I gave my dad this morning the same Weekend Warrior Challenge that I am going to propose to you - this weekend do something out of the ordinary. Forget the lists. Meet up with a friend you wouldn't normally hang out with. Eat at a restaurant you've never tried. Leave work at work. Call a family member you haven't talked to in months. Wear red lipstick and high heels. Sleep in. Go for a run. Go to church. Line up a babysitter and go away for the night. Order dessert. Dance like no one is watching. Be in the moment. Buy yourself the jeans you've been eyeing. Shut off your computer. Agree to go to lunch where your daughter suggests even if it's the most obnoxious place on earth. Guaranteed your weekend will be a lot better than you ever expected!

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."

No comments:

Post a Comment