|Simple, insanely delicious, and a fun Halloween treat!|
~Brown Butter Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats~
Posted by In Sock Monkey Slippers
Makes 12 treats
5 Tbs butter, unsalted
1 16 ounce package of marshmallows
1/3 cup pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp vanilla extract, or paste
1/4 tsp sea salt
7 cups Rice Krispies Cereal or other puffed rice cereal
optional ingredients:for squares: 1 cup dark chocolate chips (60% cacao or higher)
for pumpkins: 12 tootsie rolls, green cookie icing
1) In a large, preferably non-stick, pot heat butter over medium-low heat until it turns light brown, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally. It will bubble, foam, and then caramelize. This will give the treats a nice nutty background flavor.
2) Once the butter is browned, add marshmallows and pumpkin puree and turn the heat down to low. Stirring occasionally, cook the marshmallows until they are completely melted. Remove from heat.
3) Important step: Step away from this insanely good smelling marshmallow goop for at least 5 to 10 minutes. Stir occasionally until the marshmallow mixture cools and becomes thicker. If you add the Rice Krispies too soon they will just get soggy in the hot marshmallows. Once the marshmallow mixture is cooled and thickened add the Rice Krispies. Stir and fold until combined.
4) For traditional Rice Krispie Treat Squares: pour the mixture into a buttered (not oiled) 13x9x2 baking dish or pan. Allow to cool and set for 15 to 30 minutes. Cut into squares and remove from dish. Melt chocolate chips in the microwave in 30 second intervals, checking and stirring in between, until melted. Pour the chocolate into a Ziploc bag. With scissors, cut a small slit in the corner and use it as you would a piping bag drizzling the chocolate over the rice krispie treats.
5) If your feeling Martha Stewart'esk: For the pumpkins - skip the baking pan and pour directly on a piece of parchment or wax paper. Allow to cool and set for 5 to 10 minutes until pliable. Grab a large handful and form into a ball. Greased hands help with this. Insert a tootsie roll at the top for a pumpkin stem. With green cookie frosting create pumpkin vines and leaves around the base of the stem. Serve.
I hope this ends your weekend on a sweet note!