Wondering what to slap on the BBQ this Labor Day weekend? Fret no more. This Southwestern recipe from Eatingwell.com is a light twist on a normally heavy meal. They are great for larger groups because you can stretch the meat without feeling like you are skimping. Serve with corn on the cob and you've got yourself a fantastic low calorie meal.
~Steak & Potato Kabobs with Creamy Cilantro Sauce~
Total Time: 40 minutes
8 - 10-12 inch skewers
1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, minced
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
8 new or baby red potatoes
1 1/4 pounds strip steak, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 poblano peppers , or 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
1) Combine cilantro, vinegar, sour cream, garlic, chile powder, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
2) Preheat grill to high.
3) Place potatoes in a microwave-safe container. Cover and microwave on High until just tender when pierced with a fork, 3 to 3 1/2 minutes.
4) Toss the potatoes, steak and pepper pieces with oil and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
5) Thread the potatoes, steak, peppers and onion chunks onto 8 skewers.
6) Grill, turning once or twice, until the steak reaches desired doneness, about 6 minutes for medium. Serve the kabobs with the reserved sauce.
Diabetes appropriate Low calorie Low carbohydrate Low sodium High potassium High Protein Gluten free
Nutrition Per serving: 271 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat,4 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 2 g fiber; 368 mg sodium; 786 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C & Zinc (35% daily value), Potassium (22% dv), Iron (15% dv).